About two days ago AVG detected a Trojan called Trojan.Zekapab but couldn’t clean it completely. So I tried restoring my system but it did not work. It seems that this Trojan has infected all my restore points. I cannot figure out any other way to deal with this threat . Can anyone help me out of this trouble?
What Is Trojan.Zekapab?
Trojan.Zekapab is a Trojan horse recently detected by some reputable antivirus programs like Eset NOD32, McAfee VirusScan and Norton AntiVirus. It attacks your computer with the intention of destroying your computer and it does try to do that after it penetrates into your computer via the Internet. This Trojan horse is a really a headache for most users. Once installed on your computer, it soon attaches itself to some vital system files, so that your antivirus program will have difficulty in removing it. If your antivirus program deletes those infected files forcibly, it will probably cause severe system damage. Please note that if you ignore this Trojan horse and let it stay in the system for a long time, you will find many problems on your computer.
Generally, if you browse websites that contain a lot of pop up ads, such as porn websites, Trojan.Zekapab can slip into your computer by exploiting the system loopholes. Besides, this Trojan horse can come bundled with lots of free software on the net. If you want to avoid attack of this Trojan horse, you should try not to download and install any free software which comes from trustless sources on your computer. This Trojan horse is very harmful that it drops some malicious files to the local hard disks randomly, changes system settings and names of some system files, and injects its own registry entries to Windows registry. Thus, it can damage system files, hides itself and blocks some important programs (such as firewall and antivirus program) from running normally.
After being infected, your computer will sometimes encounter serious problems like shutdown, restarting and blue screen of death, which may cause hard disk damage and important data loss. If you leave this Trojan horse alone, it will try to connect to a certain website and download more threats to further compromise your computer system. Moreover, Trojan.Zekapab can allow the hackers who create it to visit your computer with ease. The hackers can freely browse anything on your computer, including files, pictures, videos and others, and they even steal your important data as well as sensitive information for bad purpose. To secure your system, you have to find out and manually delete all traces of this Trojan horse from your computer completely.
The manual removal is complicated and risky task which should only be attempted by advanced users. If you are not experienced in computer operations, it is highly recommended that you download and use a powerful malware removal tool.
Problems Caused by Trojan.Zekapab
1. Sluggish computer performance – The Trojan horse will take up high CPU usage when it is running in the background of the system, which strikingly slows down your computer speed.
2. Long loading time – When the computers start up, it takes a long time to load, since the Trojan horse and other malware downloaded by it will run together with the Windows.
3. System crash – The Trojan horse will damage important system files, which lead to system crash from time to time.
4. System errors – The Trojan horse will modify, overwrite or delete important system files, triggering various system errors.
5. Failure of antivirus program – The Trojan horse will disable the antivirus program in order to evade detection and removal.
6. Programs cannot be launched – The Trojan horse will delete some executable files at random, which causes some programs to be unable to run.
7. Annoying pop-ups – The Trojan horse will pop up many annoying advertisements, false system error messages and security alerts on your computer.
8. Browser redirection – The Trojan horse will modify browser settings and Host files, which causes the browser to be redirected to websites that users don’ t request.
9. Files or folders missing – The Trojan horse will randomly hide or delete your files or folders from your computer.
10. Additional infection – The Trojan horse will download and install other malware on your computer without any permission.
11. Confidential information & data theft – The Trojan horse will install key logger which is able to record what users type on the keyboard, such as website usernames and passwords; also, it can allow the remote hackers to gain access to the infected computers, who may steal important information & data without any knowledge.
How Do You Get the Trojan Horse?
Trojan.Zekapab is a very cunning Trojan horse that adopts several tricky tactics to slip into your computer system. If you don’t use caution while surfing on the Internet, you may get this Trojan horse downloaded onto your PC. Here are some causes of the Trojan horse infection:
1. Use Peer-to-Peer network to download software. Most of the freeware or shareware available in Peer-to-Peer network is bundled with malware.
2. Browse questionable or corrupt websites. Some websites have been hacked by cyber hackers and if you visit such websites, you may download malware onto your PC.
3. Open spam email attachments. Malware can disguise themselves as email attachments (in various forms of file) and mislead you into downloading them onto your computer.
4. Click on suspicious links. Some unknown short links may take you to malicious websites and then some malware will be downloaded onto your compute unwittingly.
5. Use or install an infected removable storage medium in the system. Removable storage medium like USB drive may install the Trojan horse in the system automatically.
Guide to Remove Trojan.Zekapab Effectively
If you leave the Trojan horse alone, it may not only potentially damage your computer system, but also steal the important data & sensitive information stored on your computer. Therefore, you should get rid of Trojan.Zekapab from your infected system timely. Here are three methods to remove this threat:
Method 1: Manually Remove the Trojan Horse Step by Step.
Method 2: Remove the Trojan Horse by Using SpyHunter.
Method 3: Remove the Trojan Horse with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Method 1: Manually Remove the Trojan Horse Step by Step.
Step 1: Close all the running process on your computer and backup your important data and registry before manually removing this threat.
Step 2: Restart your computer, and keep taping “F8” key constantly before the Windows launches. Choose “Safe Mode with Networking” option with the arrow keys, and then press Enter.
Step 3: Start the Windows Task Manager using the key combination “Ctrl+ Alt+ Delete”, or right click on the task bar and select “Task Manager” in the contextual menu. Click “Processes” tab, and then look for any processes related to Trojan.Zekapab. Click on the “End Process” button to end them.
Step 4: Click the Start menu, type “folder options” into the search bar and click on “Folder Option” from the results list. Click the “View” tab, and under the “Advanced settings”, tick “Show hidden files, folders and drives” and non-tick “Hide protecting operating system files (Recommended)”. Click the OK button and this will show all hidden files and folders.
Step 5: Navigate to the local disk C, find out and delete all malicious files created by Trojan.Zekapab.
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\random.exe
Step 6: Press Windows Key + R key together. Type “regedit” into the Run command box and press Enter. In the registry editor, find out and removal all malicious registry entries related to Trojan.Zekapab.
Method 2: Remove the Trojan Horse by Using SpyHunter.
SpyHunter is a powerful malware removal tool designed with the latest technologies. It has the advanced scanning algorithms which enable it to automatically scan the whole computer system and identify the existing threats on your computer. Now you can download and use this powerful removal tool to clean up Trojan.Zekapab from your PC. Please follow the steps given below:
on your PC.
Step 2: Follow the setup wizard to install SpyHunter on your computer. Then, run the program to scan the system for Trojan.Zekapab and any other potential threats.
Step 3: Once the scanning is complete, remove all detected threats by clicking on the “Fix Threats” button.
Method 3: Remove the Trojan Horse with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a professional removal tool which is designed with latest technologies and is able to easily remove various malware like Trojan horse, worm, adware, virus and spyware from your computer. With the advanced scanning algorithms, this removal tool can automatically scan your whole system, detect out the existing threats and finally remove or quarantine all of them. To get rid of Trojan.Zekapab with ease, please follow the steps below:
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and install it on your system by following the setup wizard.
Step 2: Then, launch the removal tool to scan the whole system (click on the “Scan” tab, select “Threat Scan” and then click on the “Scan Now” button).
Step 3: Now Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will start scanning your system. After the scanning is complete, it will show you all detected threats along with their detailed information.
Step 4: Finally, click “Quarantine All” and click the “Apply Actions” button to quarantine all detected threats. Then, restart the computer to complete the removal. Now Trojan.Zekapab should have been completely removed from your machine.
Tips to Prevent Malware Infection
PC users may wonder which is the best antivirus program that helps block malware like Trojan.Zekapab? Actually, no single program will completely defend your computer against all malware. The increasing number of malware being written each day makes it difficult to keep each antivirus program up-to-date with protection. So, it is important to know some tips to avoid malware infection when surfing the internet. Bear those tips in your mind:
1. Don’t open e-mail attachments unless you know the persons who send the attachment and you are expecting an attachment from them.
2. Be careful when installing software that you’ve downloaded from the internet, since it may include malware.
3. Be extremely cautious when you are prompted you to download certain software or run an Active X control.
4. Keep your system and any software installed on your computer up-to-date. Malware like Trojan.Zekapab usually exploit system vulnerabilities or software flaws to attack your computer.
5. Don’t click inside misleading pop-up windows: Many malicious websites try to install malware on your system by making images look like pop-up windows, or displaying an animation of the website scanning your computer.
6. If you are running Internet Explorer as your browser, at a minimum you should use a “Medium” security level for the internet zone.
It is not recommended that novice users manually remove the Trojan horse, since the manual removal is a complicated and risky task. To eliminate the Trojan horse without hassles and effort, we sincerely suggest that you download and install a professional removal tool which can completely clean up all existing threats from your computer and also protect your system from future malware.